Instructions for students attending Commencement
Please note: This page is for the main University Commencement ceremony. For information about a departmental event, see the departmental convocation pages.
- Graduating students must wear UNM academic regalia, which can be purchased from the bookstore.
- Honor cords for University Honors are available from the bookstore.
- Other honor cords are available through their respective honor societies.
- Do not bring personal items that you cannot carry with you across the stage. You will not have access to anywhere safe to store them, and may not return to the same seat after you walk.
- Comfortable shoes are encouraged. You will be walking up and down several flights of hard concrete stairs.
- Arrive between and , and allow plenty of time to park. The ceremony will begin promptly at .
- Remain in the venue through the full ceremony. As a courtesy to and out of respect for all graduates, the graduate and their family should remain at the ceremony until it concludes.
Accessibility and safety
- Requests for accessibility accommodations for students can be made when registering, or contact the Office of the University Secretary at (505) 277-4664 for more information.
- Students who require accessibility accommocations should report to the Pete McDavid Lounge on the Southeast corner of the Arena. Volunteers there will check you in and escort or assist you to your eat.
- First Aid is located on the Southeast corner of the Arena's ground floor.
- EMS and Police/Security are housed in the building's command post at the Northwest corner of the ground floor.
- There are no elevators that go all the way to the floor of the Arena. If you need access to an elevator, please go to the Pete McDavid Lounge at the Southeast corner of the Arena, and someone will escort you.
- Signing up on this site is not necessary to receive your diploma.
- You will not receive your diploma at Commencement, you will get a complementary diploma cover.
- Official diplomas are mailed by the Office of the Registrar 6-8 weeks after the end of the semester.
- More information about requesting your diploma
- If there are questions regarding diplomas or transcripts, students should contact the Office of the Registrar at (505) 277-8900 or by email at .