Graduate Commencement Ceremony
All faculty are encouraged to participate as members of the "faculty honor processional" in the Graduate Commencement ceremony. This is the campus-wide graduation ceremony for master's and doctoral degree candidates from all schools, colleges, and degree programs.
Thursday, December 15, 2016
at 6:00 pm, WisePies Arena aka The Pit
Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
All faculty are encouraged to participate as members of the "faculty honor processional" in the Undergraduate Commencement ceremony. This is the campus-wide graduation ceremony for bachelor's and associate's degree candidates from all schools, colleges, and degree programs.
Friday, December 16, 2016
at 6:00 pm
, WisePies Arena aka The Pit
Convocation ceremonies are celebrations hosted by individual schools, colleges, and/or departments just for their graduates. Each of these ceremonies may be different in form and structure and may range from a formal graduation ceremony to a casual reception. See the Schedule of Events for ceremony dates and times.
Faculty, VIP, and Staff who plan to participate in one or more graduation ceremonies must complete the online signup form. The regalia order deadline is: Friday, October 30, 2016
After the deadline, faculty may still sign-up and will be added to the extra regalia waiting list.
Commencement Ceremony Faculty Instructions
- There will not be a rehearsal.
Doors will open at
- Upon arrival please proceed up the stairs to the 2nd floor, section C45. Non-hooding faculty will line-up for the processional behind the appropriate sign as directed by the Marshals. Faculty who will be hooding students will line up with their graduate student in the nearby doctoral processional line.
Faculty Honor Processional
- Non-hooding faculty will lead the academic procession into the arena promptly at the ceremony start time.
- As directed by the marshals, faculty will process toward the stage in pairs.
- Once faculty lines are in place in front of their seats, the faculty will turn and face the aisle staying in place while the students process to their seats.
- Faculty will be seated as instructed by the marshals. (Men remove caps during the National Anthem).
- The marshals will direct you to the proper seats after the students have been seated.
For faculty who will be hooding students at the Graduate Commencement Ceremony:
- Faculty hooders will process into the main arena and be seated alongside the doctoral candidates.
- Degree candidates will be asked to rise as a group.
- The President confers the degrees on the group.
- As directed by the marshals, degree candidates and their faculty mentor ("hooder") will then move to the aisle and proceed to the stage. At this time each candidate will present their hood to their faculty hooder.
- At the foot of the stage, each candidate will present the name card to the master of ceremonies.
- The name of the candidate and their hooder will then be read.
- The faculty hooder and candidate will proceed to the designated place on the stage facing the audience.
- The faculty hooder will hood the candidate.
- Sample video of a doctoral hooding (wmv).
- Marshals will direct faculty out of the arena.